Take Charles' advice: save pea seeds…..

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Take Charles' advice: save pea seeds…..

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MJSJ 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

I took Charles’ advice last summer and saved Alderman Pea Seeds. I did it biodynamically and sowed this year on a suitable biodynamic date, 21st February.

I counted them today, 3rd March (i.e. day 10) and 134 of 144 seeds sown (48*3 as per Charles suggestion) have emerged, despite three days of no watering due to frozen taps and clogged watering can roses last week! This is over 90% germination frequency.

In 2017, I purchased commercial seed and in two separate sowings one month apart, germination rates were around 70%.

As saving pea seeds is as easy as it gets, definitely high up my list of effortless improvements Charles’ advice has yielded….

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I must confess that I have never bothered much with seed saving as we generally consume all our produce long before they go to seed.
    I’m thinking I will save Peas this year. However my Peas usually get Mildew towards the end of the season and I was wondering if I could save these Peas.

Don.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi chaps. I agree Rhys, dead easy and they positively jump out of the compost in record breaking time. I saved alderman about four years ago and they are still being used with great success, although I had my leg pulled a bit at the time, because the missus was informed “there for seed this year, not for eating ok”..

Good question Don.

Scott Huey
    Participant

Agreed! I too took Charles’ advice with saving seed and I saved pea seed from my Serge peas last year. ( a variety Charles recommended for shoots ) I grew them for the shoots early but let one go to seed for saving. It wasn’t a huge amount I saved but they are up and away with good germination and sowed around the same time as you Rhys. It’s very satisfying going full circle. Easy and enjoyable too. Thanks

charles

Thanks all for these interesting comments and fine results, one of the greatest joys of gardening to save your own seeds.
    Rhys you are so meticulous, congrats.
    Another aspect to saving seed is how plants are then a little more adapted to your local conditions, and stronger for it. The Grenoble Red lettuce whose seed I have saved for about ten years is having it’s best winter yet, though it’s also hard to judge because of variable weather. It will be interesting to check leaf quality when we pick this week as all plants in tunnel and greenhouse were frozen last week.
    So do try lettuce next! Only one plant needed, best undercover unless it’s a fine summer!

Rhys
    Participant

Interesting advice about lettuce, Charles. I left one GR to over winter outside and until the cold this week it was doing fine. If it survives and goes to seed I will do as you suggest.

Peas are now 141/144 so verging on 100%.

charles

Don I forgot to reply to your question about saving seed from mildew-affected plants.
    I do this often because mildew happens every year, here at least, sometime in July and before seeds have dried. I see it as a normal end-of-life process as plants die, having done their seed producing job.
    My seeds are fine and yours will be too, as long as the pods are well formed before plants are completely white!

Don Foley
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I appreciate that info and will definitely save seeds this year.

John
    Participant

About pea seed saving, if one has several types of peas, is there a risk that they can cross pollinate and then not be true to type when planted the following year after the initial harvest ?.

charles

John, no problems there because peas do not cross pollinate, and one plant is sufficient.
    Also in this category are lettuce, tomato and French bean.
    For other veg, seed saving is more complicated, see my video on that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVb9JIAXJxU

Rhys
    Participant

Here are the peas ready to be put into the soil this week. I have never grown more healthy, happy peas!

charles

Nice to see this Rhys.
    Home saved seeds just want to grow.

MJSJ
    Participant

I was looking forward to saving seeds from alderman peas grown for shoots & sowed 3 per cell as advised by Charles the poor germination of these seeds has confirmed my wish to save seed all I have to do now is get these dreadful seeds to grow . I will try another batch . My oscar pea seeds from real seeds on the other hand sowed a week later 100% same conditions & came up 1st. I have saved Welsh onion seeds before & looking forward to saving leeks too this time .
    Real seeds have some great advice on seed saving too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags