Technical failure

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Technical failure

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Having just taken on another half plot that is very over grown with mainly couch grass, I went up to strim it prior to covering and find that my strimmer is broken! It looks as if it will be several weeks before I can get it fixed or get someone else to do it for me. So my question is how much difference will cutting it back make? Should I just go ahead and cover it to stop continued growth in this mild weather?

charles

Bluebell I would just cover it, soon, and save a job.
    Couch grass currently thinks it is spring and looks so lush.

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles, just been up to work for the first time in 3 weeks and it is growing fast so I will put membrain on ASAP..
    It is like a good March day out there and I have gooseberry com in to leaf , wall flowers out and nasturtiums starting to grow from dropped seeds!

bluebell
    Participant

Just in case anyone else is thinking of trying this, I thought I would give a quick update.
    Laid out the membrain yeaterday with a combination of pegs and bricks/ part paving slabs every 6 feet.
    It was not made any easier as the weeds were in tussocks, would have been easier if I had been able to strimmer.
    Went up this morning to find the wind had got under about 50% of it, so have now added just about everything heavy I could find on the plot and hope this will hold it.

So whilst it was undoubtedly quicker than the card and compost option, I am not entirely confident that it will be effective and since the pegs were next to useless I still need more ballast to hold down the fabric on the remainder of the plot.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags