thanks to the growers

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing thanks to the growers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ros

I have now lost all my lettuces to the slugs and so have had to buy some salad – the first time in the summer for quite some time. I usually manage on 6 plants for my needs – a salad for lunch 4 or 5 times a week – but I did have 10 plants at one stage this year. I do have some now coming along in modules to take over soon but in the meantime I am grateful to all you growers who are still managing to get some produce into the shops.

All was going well with no special measures until everyone was saying that it was a bad year for slugs so I tried some coffee grounds – 24 hours later I was about 3 plants down and quite a few chomped leaves on the remainder. Time for real action I thought and put down a few ‘organic’ slug pellets – that was the final straw – despite evening action with the foot [stamping on collected slugs] each morning saw the number of plants decrease. Perhaps I should go with my gut feeling and just have the evening visits and not try any other methods!

charles

Hi Ros

Thanks for thanking us! And thanks to this spell of warmth I hope your plants are now growing, the ones which survived. I was out last night with a torch and knife, found most slugs zooming in from grassy edges, and inside my wooden-sided experiment, zooming in on some endive plants…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags