Thanks!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ros 12 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Thanks for great May update – this weather has been a bit scary for new gardeners! I am encouraged by what you say and seem to be doing similar things to you – except fleecing my tomatoes in polytunnel… will think about that.
    Also – I dont think you feed your toms in the polytunnel – what about toms in buckets in greenhouse… would you feed them?
    Update on troublesome coriander.. Some of it is slowly showing – I think it was cold!

charles

Yes it has been a difficult spring and especially for your first one. I am rejecting many more outdoor lettuce leaves than usual, slug damage mostly. Also I have had the same experience of slow germination being simply due to low temperatures. Last week I put my propagator thermostat on 30 instead of 20C as there has been so little sun by day to warm the greenhouse, although the weekend was good. Hang in there! and you may not need to fleece your tunnel tomatoes, being on a hillside where cold air at night should not gather.

kate robinson
    Participant

Ok – will wait and see with fleecing tomatoes…
    I have no heat in greenhouse so basil in still small. I hope it will survive.
    Can I ask you again about whether or not to feed tomatoes in buckets in greenhouse?

charles

sorry I forgot to answer that one – yes they need feeding if grown in containers as they are such greedy plants! Whereas soil gives them long and deep root runs and I find they do fine without feed – but in poor soils some feed may be good.

Ros

my basil in a cold greenhouse is only just showing the 2 seed leaves – sown about a month ago. I sowed some Genovese, red basil [forgotten the name] and some lemon basil. The lemon and the red have germinated but not the Genovese – it may decide to come through in the next few days!!

bluebell
    Participant

My poor garlic chives look as if they have a fungus growing on them they have turned blue and furry! Think it is probably time to give up on them germinating.

How long should french beens take they have been in a grow house 2 weeks and no sign. Should I give up on them too or hang in there for a bit longer?

charles

Yes it is low temperatures. Sometimes we are lucky with fine weather for early sowings but French beans and basil this year have not yet seen enough warmth to start growing healthily, even indoors: cucumber and melon ditto. Ideally I would sow again next week, after this cold spell eases a little… and the garlic chives, yes try again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags