The price of seeds!

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing The price of seeds!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Peter Maughan
    Participant

I’m often shocked by the price of seeds. The well-known names ask more than £2 a packet. And yet Charles tells us that most of the seed is sourced from a small number of big seed houses, whatever the supplier. So it seems to me the best policy is to look for the cheapest source. One that I’ve been using for a number of years is Premier Seeds Direct on Ebay:
    http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/premierseedsdirect
    Most seeds are 99p a packet, with free postage for 5 or more. The packaging is plain, which is all we need in these days of the Internet, when pictures and growing instructions remain instantly available on the supplier’s website.
    Do others know of other cheap sources that they have tried and can recommend?

Rhys
    Participant

There are some suppliers who either make their own seed or source from UK producers: Real Seeds prepare their own (I’ve found all the seeds of theirs that I’ve used to date very reliable, including parsnip, leeks, onions, courgette, sweetcorn, winter cabbage, tree cabbage, sicilian radish).

Also, price per seed is probably the best metric – I’ve noticed that some suppliers have far more seeds per packet than others – Stormy Hall carrot seeds has hugely more (1500) than most others for one.

The other thing one does start to question, Peter is this: is the way the market is going that of big suppliers growing young plants and selling those to customers? You transplant out your plants rather than sow your seeds?? They may see that as a more profitable solution and many customers may see it as more hassle free, avoiding the challenges of early frosts, the need for fleece etc etc.

It may be that quality seed is going to swing in the direction of success for more niche players supplying the motivated minority, whilst the mass market supplies young plants instead……..

Leif
    Participant

I have used Seedaholics this year for root parsley, salsify and lemon habanero chile. Germination was really excellent, so the seed was good quality and fresh. I suspect they buy from the big suppliers. I have also used Real Seeds, who are excellent although the white beetroot I sowed this year are showing seedlings with red stems.

Plot 33
    Participant

If you’re not to fussy about the variety, Lidl offers very good value for seeds. You have to get them early in the season as they sell out. I have always had excellent germination results. I particularly like their spinach (matador) . I also like Sarah Raven who is not cheap, but I wait till I get an offer for free p&p or 10% off & I buy via Quidco the cash back website which usually gves another 10% off. I’ve had nearly £2,000 cashback since becoming a member.

Leif
    Participant

Aldi have some good seedlings in spring, very cheap, such as Apache chillis. Get them as soon as they arrive and they are in good condition.

jjat8cv
    Participant

I have just received an order from Moreveg. You may not get as many seeds in the packets but who realistically wants to grow 200 cabbages or 100 cauliflowers. Last year I bought some seeds from a company called Bavicchi ( the packaging looks suspiciously like Franci). The germination was very good and they were much cheaper than Franci.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags