There's a hole in my garlic plot

Community Community Garden Problems Pests There's a hole in my garlic plot

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Perry
    Participant

I have found a hole going into my garlic plot, it’s about 5-6cm across. I filled it in a week ago and it’s back! I think there’s a tunnel around 10-15cm under the surface, there doesn’t seem to be much mole activity nearby, I was just wondering what it might be?…

Derek
    Participant

Too large for mice. Too small for rabbits. Rats would be my guess.

RandA
    Participant

Yes I would agree it is almost certainly rats. We had them in the polytunnel all winter, a nightmare, I kept digging up the hole and tunnels and tryied to flood it out and put heavy pots on top they eventually moved out. The holes they make are very neat!! Good luck

Perry
    Participant

Oh no, that was my worst fear! I forgot to mention my garlic is in a raised bed. I have filled the hole & compacted the tunnels that I could see by following the cracked surface lines, any ideas on the best ways to get them to leave, other than those posted above? I don’t want to put poison down, maybe I should encourage the neighbour’s cat in the garden?

Cleansweep
    Participant

If you dont wish to live with them, live without them.
    see:
    http://www.ratbait.co.uk/rat-trap–nipper-260-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoZi59rem2gIVy7_tCh1ENAH0EAQYASABEgJCT_D_BwE

Available from almost any ironmonger or Mica hardware shops

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags