Thin Cabbage

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Thin Cabbage

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dazzerelli 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dazzerelli
    Participant

I’ve been growing Cabbages such as Pixie and Greyhound and have found the hearts to be full of quite thin, crinkly looking leaves rather than the thick juicy leaves in hearts that I buy from the shops. This taste is also slightly more bitter. Is this varietal?

Darren

charles

That is interesting, I wonder if they are reacting to the fierce sun, drought and heat, which is not a brassica favourite, especially those varieties which are best in spring and early summer. For example, Greyhound was superb in the cold rain of last June.

So yes it is varietal and you would be better sowing say Marner Early Red Cabbage (in MArch) for July and August harvests, if you want that. I just picked a lovely dense heart of it.

Dazzerelli
    Participant

An update … just harvested some Golden Acre Primo (II) from right next to where the Greyhound was growing, same conditions, sowing date etc. and the leaves are much thicker, juicier and denser. Good lesson learnt there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags