Tiny Seed Germination

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Tiny Seed Germination

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steph 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

englishlady

A week or so ago I discovered a brand new way to germinate very tiny seeds.

It involves putting two kitchen towels flat into the same size ziplock bag, dampening the towel, then putting the tiny seeds in and leaving the whole thing in sunlight  (with the bag firmly zipped).

Having done this with poppy seeds, strawberry seeds and a couple of others, I am finding it very hard to keep the seeds at a fixed temperature.  I’ve been moving them from the early morning sun at the back of the house (on a windowsill) to the front of the house after the sun has come around.

But on days like today, the sun is covered with clouds and I am sure my little babies are shivering.

I am thinking of buyng a cheap thermostatic control electric blanket to leave on a table in the conservatory and leave these little darlings on there until they germinate.  Does this seem crazy or wise ?  I am new to this so have no clue.

Very much appreciate any ideas and thank you for your time.

Best wishes

Julie

Steph
    Participant

This sounds an uneccesarily complicated way of germinating – I start everything off in compost – seed trays, module trays, etc – except for those seeds that I sow direct.

Surely they will dry out far too quickly germinating in some kitchen roll? 

englishlady

Hi Steph

Nope, once the kitchen roll is damp all over, I sprinkle the seeds in as far apart as I want them, then close the ziplock bag. All of the moisture stays inside the bag as the bag is now sealed.  I put the bag in full sunlight and they germinate.

After the first two seeds and a strong root system are visible, I exhale into the opened ziplock giving the little ones some Co2.  Then they go back on the windowsill.

There is a video on youtube showing how to do it, way easier than dealing with microscopic seeds otherwise, even easier than mixing with sand in my book.

Best wishes

Julie

Steph
    Participant

I’m happy sowing into compost and then pricking out the strongest plants, or into modules (depending what the seed is).  Glad this one works well for you :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags