Tips for successful seed sowing during a heatwave?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Tips for successful seed sowing during a heatwave?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MJSJ 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

HeatheryWales
    Participant

I’m planning on sowing my autumn / winter veg crop seeds this week but its very hot here in North Wales. I’m concerned that the seeds will desiccate in the seed tray & fail to germinate – do you have any tips or should I wait for cooler weather (weather forecast says hot & dry for another 7 days).

Katia
    Participant

Here in Ireland we are having the hottest, driest weather in decades. I recently re-sowed salads and herbs,and they all successfully germinated in 4-5 dys, in spite of the high temperatures. I generally sow direct but the same process could work for seed-tray sowing. I sow into shallow grooves and then cover the entire patch in green builders netting, and water directly onto the netting. It seems to provide enough shade, while still letting light through.

Incidentally, I am also using it to cover my vegetable crops in this hot weather. It cuts down on the amount of watering needed, and seems to stop plants from prematurely bolting. I am still cropping from my first sown batch of lettuce in spite of temperatures above 20 degrees for a month or more, and no sign of them bolting.

HeatheryWales
    Participant

Katia, many thanks for your tips which I shall try. I’m used to battling slugs and windy wet weather so this prolonged heatwave is outside of my experience. The variation in seasonal weather is what makes gardening such an interesting process! My lettuce has bolted & tastes really bitter so I’ve just pulled it up. My veggie patch looks very bare and I feel unprepared for the next phase.

Jacqui
    Participant

Here in Gloucestershire it has not rained for weeks and the water butts are bone dry.
    I sowed cabbage , kale and broccoli on 24th June and have just pricked on. I normally sow in the greenhouse but that is like an oven at present even with all windows and doors open and shading painted on. So I decided to sow in seed trays in a cold frame which I have covered with Greenhouse shading mesh which should also keep the cabbage white butterflies out. So far so good but also the cold frame has been moved to the side of the house which gets less sun. So here’s hoping.

ElizaD
    Participant

My purple sprouting broccoli that I pricked out and planted about two and a half weeks’ ago keeled over and was only revived with a good shower of water and a blanket placed over the netting to keep all sun off for about ten days. I have just been away for almost a week and removed the blanket before I went. All was well on my return and broccoli is growing reasonably well I’m happy to say.

Eliza

Sandra
    Participant

Purple sprouting is one thing that has totally failed me here, as well as Romanesco which is my favourite veg. I would need to buy more seed, but I am assuming that it is too late to sow these again.

I am in North Wales too Heather, on Mynydd Cilgwyn, where the big fires were, I came out of hospital on the 24th I believe and we were evacuated (with 4 dogs and 1 cat) the next day, nightmare. The house and garden were fine thank God. Where are you?

MJSJ
    Participant

That’s really hard I hope you are all recoverd now & have had a little rain. I also have had numerous failures but ended up having success by sowing in the shade of a shed with each tray in an open veg bag from supermarket with holes to preserve moisture but not cook.si far so good though onions poor so they need a spell in the fridge before sowing.im going to plant my very late purplesprouting as I think it will just be small & late ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags