To harden off or not to harden off

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground To harden off or not to harden off

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ionianc 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ionianc
    Participant

Hi all,

I saw on Instagram that Charles doesn’t harden off seedlings but uses fleece to cover and acclimatise newly planted-out seedlings. I was wondering if it is too late in the year to use fleece for this purpose now?

We’re experiencing a spell of very hot weather here in Ireland at the moment and my greenhouse is roasting, even with the doors open. I’m worried my seedlings will suffer but I have only started the hardening off process so I’m nervous that taking them out of the greenhouse for an extended period of time will shock them. Would it make sense to plant them out and cover them with fleece, or is there a risk of them over-heating under the fleece as well?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

charles

Yes it’s not good to use fleece like that in hot weather, they may fry!
    I reckon your seedlings will be fine in the greenhouse until their normal planting size, as long as the compost is moist, or on a table outside. Last week my greenhouse want over 40C and plants just grew faster.

Ionianc
    Participant

Thanks Charles! That’s good to know. I’ll leave them in the green house for now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags