Tomato Blight?

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Tomato Blight?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bex
    Participant

Hi,

Are the attached pictures Blight? I grow the tops outdoors as I have a puny greenhouse. I’ve been away for ten days they’ve been watered etc but now look like this. I’m thinking Blight but wanted a second opinion before I rip out the whole crop 🙁

Also as they are in pots can I reuse the compost(not for tomatoes!)or does that need to go too.

Thanks muchly for your help

Bex

Bex
    Participant

Oops hope this one uploads

Bex
    Participant

Last chance think I made them smaller?l

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Bex,

I’m not seeing any discolouration on leaves/stems. Looks like lack of moisture to me.
    Water them thoroughly and come back in a couple of days and let us know how they are doing.

Don.

charles

Yes it needs a close up of any browning leaves. Blight makes leaves translucent and floppy. I think I see some but can’t be sure and Don has a point, they look underwatered.
    If you had blight, as I never tire of saying and writing (!) you can reuse compost, soil is not infected, and blighted foliage + fruit can go on the compost heap. Blight spores survive only on living tissue, not in soil or compost.

Bex
    Participant

I will do I’ve been away so it’s possible they were underwater them there are some patches on the stems will try for better pictures. Thank you¡

Bex
    Participant

Updated pictures what do you think?

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Bex,

Are those patches on the stem black or brown? Whatever, these plants look too diseased at this stage to be viable. I’m thinking its either Blight or Verticillium Wilt neither of which can be reversed. There is too little leaf evident in the pics to tell for sure. You should remove these plants now to prevent the problem spreading.

Don.

charles

Yes this is blight for sure, sorry!
    If it were a few leaves affected, they might be saveable but the disease is into the stem and sap.
    You can compost them at least, no point in keeping them, fruits will rot if they even form.
    Its preventable if you can keep leaves dry in humid, warm weather.

ElizaD
    Participant

You sure have a bad case of blight there! My own tomatoes are still plugging on although I pulled off some leaves with blight on weeks back. It’s been mostly dry here since I posted about the blight – in fact I bought back the heatwave I experienced in Greece!

ElizaD
    Participant

Well, here we go again! Just found the first patches of blight on three or four of my outdoor tomatoes. No mistaking and not much as yet but not surprising with the weather we’ve had lately. Just as they are ripening of course. Every year I say I will not put myself through this and every year I grow them. Can only hope for an extended spell of dry weather as, see post above, I brought back from Greece last year! Anybody else noticed blight on outdoor toms yet?

What happened to summer?

Regards
    Eliza

charles

Eliza, I think that summer has fled so yes, blight is now an issue and I am not surprised you have some.
    I am growing Resi, Dorada and Primavera, blight resistant varieties from Germany and so far, so good. Low yields, good flavour.
    In the tunnel, a few affected leaves which I cut off as soon as seen.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags