tomato cuttings overwintering

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables tomato cuttings overwintering

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lizzy
    Participant

Has anyone tried taking tomato cuttings and overwintering them? I would be interested to know how you got on and if it is worth doing. There is quite a lot on the web about it but not specifically for UK.

lizzy
    Participant

well this is probably very bad form (to reply to my own question) but I found the following –

‘Look at your most healthy heavily cropping plants; and take some cuttings (as in the side shoots I assume) from them.
    Pop them into modules around about now, and let them recover. [They flop for a week, then stand up and carry on growing]
    Slow down the watering and when late autumn comes, take the strongest few indoors, and grow them on in a cool [not too warm] position.
    Then, pot them on around February time, and grow them on next year. ‘
    so I am going to try as I have several tomatoes who do not want to fade away!

charles

Well done Lizzy!
    I do this every October, usually find the plants are too big even by February, underwater them deliberately, then take more sideshoots to have more new plants, all from one or two originals.
    They grow tall in windowsills too, so its not exactly easy, but fun to do and saves buying seed.

Katia
    Participant

Hi Charles, Lizzie
    I’ve tried this loads of times and can never manage to get them through the winter. I usually keep them in the conservatory but I’ve always kept them as cuttings rooted in water, maybe this is where I’ve been going wrong. Do you think it’s better to pot them up in compost and where would you recommend keeping them? Also do the fruits ripen earlier than ones sown from seed as normal? Thanks

charles

I have always put my sideshoots into pots of compost, mid October.
    They are now 4in (10cm) plants and flowering, I pinch off the flower trusses. I have them in an unheated greenhouse and if it gets really frosty I keep them on the conservatory windowsill.
    Then by late winter they are too tall and I make new plants by putting new sideshoots into pots of compost. etc.
    So yes they are ready early but fruiting is perhaps only 10 days ahead.
    I like it for independence from buying F1 seeds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags