Tomato Leaves Curling / Yellowing

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Tomato Leaves Curling / Yellowing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Al P 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Al P
    Participant

Hi Charles

This is my first year of growing in a greenhouse… All seemed to be going quite well. The sungold tomatoes are harvesting quite nicely, the gardeners delight are growing ok, not yet ready.

In the last few days I have noticed that the lower leaves on all the tomatoes are curling and also becoming paler between the veins at the bottom of the plants. I read it might be magnesium deficiency. And lack of water for the leaf curling curling. I put some compost on the bed before planting. Other than that they have had a couple of doses of comfrey liquid feed, thats it.

Epsom salts are mentioned, do you need to add it? Maybe my compost isn’t quite up to speed as of yet.

Any advise appreciated.

P.S. I always look forward to your updates and videos, really useful.

Many thanks

Best Regards

Al

Al P
    Participant

Added photos

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Al, no problem there! They look fantastic.
    Curling lower leaves is not to do with lack of water, if that were the case the leaves would wilt on a hot afternoon and you would have blossom end rot on fruit.
    Lower leaves “go over” as they age and I would cut them off.
    The yellowing is not a soil deficiency, more a reflection of tomatoes’ incredible speed and amount of growth, both leaves and fruit, and how they cannot access the food fast enough, sometimes. Use feeds if you wish but it’s not vital.

I hope your Gardeners Delight fruit well, the variety is poorly maintained now, unprofitable to breeders I think, and fruits are larger and less sweet than they used to be. Hope I am wrong!

Al P
    Participant

Charles

Thank you – that makes perfect sense. I won’t apply any feeds in that case, I very much didn’t want to. Thanks also for the info on Gardeners Delight, I bought them on impulse really from a supermarket – also for a variation on Sun Gold. I will try some other more interesting varieties next year alongside Sun Gold. Sun Gold will definitely be back next year for me.

Thanks again

Best Regards

Al

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags