Tomato plant problems

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Tomato plant problems

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tidy beard 8 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tidy beard
    Participant

Hello Charles,

I have 20 tomato plants (Costoluto Genovese by Johnsons seeds) which I have grown from seed. They have been growing well and are now 5″ or so tall. About a week ago I noticed small brown patches on the leaves.The photograph taken today shows how this has developed. I wondered if you know what this is and the best course of action?

Many thanks.

Leif
    Participant

Papery thin regions of dead leaf can be due to sun scold. Chiles get that, not sure about tomatoes. Mind you, that is extensive, so perhaps it is something else. I’ve only seen a few such regions before.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi,

Looks like sun burn to me also. This is quiet common with plants grown on sunny windowsills.
    This happened to me quiet regular when I grew on sills, I’ve since moved to Growlights and I don’t get this at all.
    However I don’t remember brown spots which you mention.

Don.

charles

As Leif and Don say, it could be sun-related and it would help to know where you are growing them, and in what medium, pot size?

tidy beard
    Participant

Thank you all. The seed was sown in a 3″ pot and the seedlings were pricked out into 7cm x 8cm x 5cm deep cells. All this took place on a windowsill. They were then moved into a porch, open on one side, with a glass roof about 10ft tall. I didn’t notice anything amiss before moving them. They have been in the same multi purpose compost, branded by my local garden centre, throughout.

charles

Tidy beard this sounds fine, I would not worry as the main thing is there are healthy new leaves in the middle of each plant.

tidy beard
    Participant

That’s a relief. Thanks Charles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags