Tomato Problemo!

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Tomato Problemo!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dalesman 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tim
    Participant

Hi There

I’m new to tomatoes, and they are doing great…. I’ve got this strange leaf mottling on the lower leaves. Can anyone help identify it?

There is a picture attached.

The tomatoes are in a re-furbished greenhouse that had been out of use for a number of years in a raised bed with new compost.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Tim,

If it is only on the lower leaves it might be magnesium deficiency.
    What are you feeding the plants with?

Don.

Tim
    Participant

Thanks, Don. It is only on the lower ones (and I’ve removed them now). They’ve had one seaweed feed, but nothing other than that.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Tim,

That is a good choice of feed. You should be feeding once a week once flowers appear. Regular watering and regular feeding make a big difference with Tomatoes. As for cutting off the lower leaves, once the first truss has set that would be a normal thing to do anyway.
    It will improve air circulation around the plant, which is what you want.

Don.

Tim
    Participant

Thanks, Don. Much appreciated, will try those things.
    Tim

ElizaD
    Participant

I don’t feed tomatoes in my raised beds as I thought the compost I put on earlier gave them enough food for the duration. Should I feed them?

Eliza

Dalesman
    Participant

I don’t find it necessary to feed other than an annual compost mulch, and I don’t water much in poly tunnel either, except in this years heat. Last year multi stemmed plants were producing average 12 trusses per plant so my ex-meadow underlying soil must be good.
    So, the answer, as usual, depends on your individual circumstance and inclination. For me, a massive help has been Charles practice to put everything through the compost pile and treat all beds, all crops with the same input ie. compost. No separate applications of comfrey, wood ash, whatever, just compost the lot and spread annually. So simple. (Thanks Charles).
    Incidentally, the next really big help is not being too concerned about rotation. So, thanks again, Charles Dowding!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags