Tomatoes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jawilliams
    Participant

When should I give up all hope of my out door tomatoes ripening on the vine?

charles

Lets hope they ripen over the coming week, which looks to be fine and even warm by day, but if nights turn cold after that it may be as well to bring trusses indoors. If you are in southeast England, you have a better chance. Depends on variety too: you could try Sungold outdoors next year.

jawilliams
    Participant

Thank you for your timely advice. I’ll give the Sungold a go next year however I’ve had great success this year with Gardener’s Delight and Moneymaker. This was probably down to the great summer we’ve had.

charles

I pulled my Gardeners Delight to compost yeasterday, full of blight. For outdoor toms it depends where you are and it gets damp here in September. But they were good before that; more Sungold next year, they finished already, outdoors.

Rhys
    Participant

My tomatoes barely ripened at all on the vine after about 8th September as we had 10 days of cold weather. Suddenly after a week of unusually warm weather at the start of October, I’ve had 10 tomatoes turn orange in the past week. Riesentraube, Black Cherry, Sub Arctic Plenty and Glacier.

They may all get culled this week as the forecast is for cold nights.

I’ve successfully ripened about 250 of 500 harvested green so far either indoors or sat in an outside boiler house. I guess if all else fails, the remainder will all have to be used green.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags