Tomatoes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hazelky
    Participant

I have a small polytunnel 8by 6feet and uncovered the ground this season which was cardboarded over to quell the weeds – thistles, nettles dandelions,dyers weld, clover. Now has 4 inches compost.
    I have an abundance of tomato plants in pots. It struck me that if the temp drops the plants may be cosier surrounded by the very warm compost on the ground than in less compost in the plastic pot.

As I have so many, I decided to plant 3 in one bed of the polytunnel to see what happens. They have been in a week now, and so far ,so good. The night temps are dropping over the next days, so I’ll cosy them with a bit of fleece at night. None are at first truss level. One is small:one set of true leaves,one a little bigger and another bigger yet.

I know the recommendation is to plant much later and with a first truss of flowers, but I thought it was worth testing out my idea. What do you think, Charles?

charles

I think you plan is good.
    As long as there are no night frosts, which are the main reason for waiting. You can use extra fleece in case, if the forecast is cold.
    Another reason for potting on is to keep plants growing while beds are still growing winter veg, but your greenhouse was clear.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags