tomatoes – new plants growing from the base

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables tomatoes – new plants growing from the base

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dan hazelrowan 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

What to do with these? Remove them i guess?  I haven’t noticed them as been so busy and some are actually quite large!

Still can’t complain as i thought I wouldn’t have any tomatoes after my spring wilting scare – all of them have recovered and are all doing really well :)

Rhys
    Participant

Last year, I grew a Shirley plant with two vigorous main leaders. I got 5 trusses on each. Then a new plant grew out the side and I got a further 3 trusses of good sized tomatoes from that.

Some tomatoes strains seem quite good at risk management – when they have secured the first wave of fruit to a good size, they reckon they can go for broke and have a second lot, since they will spread their seed at season’s end no matter what.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

interesting, but i’m concerned i will end up with a very intense tomato jungle! I think i may have to remove them….

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Just found this quote online –

We were fascinated by Joe Maiden’s article in Kitchen Garden (January 2012 issue) where he described how he accidentally created a multi-cordon Sungold tomato plant,when one of the plants fell out of its box prior to planting and snapped off the growing point of the stem. The plant grew sideshoots, which Joe decided to train as cordons, creating a multi-stemmed tomato plant. He removed the side shoots that grew from these new stems and ended up with a 60-truss plant by the end of the season!”

Could it be worth a try? :)

zuf
    Participant

It’s easy to grow single tomato plant with many stems, but the plant needs space, sun and space again to dry as fast as possible. Main problem with multistemmed tomatoes growing togheter is disease, that’s why we mostly grow them as single stem plants. But yes, insted of 5 plants growing in an area, you can have one plant with 5 stems and it will need the same amount of space above and below soil.

charles

I agree that these anecdotes sometimes ought to mention more detail of, in this case, soil and space required. You can indeed have multi-stemmed tomatoes if you have lots of space, but growing one stem at normal spacing is probably easier in the end.

zuf
    Participant

Yes, and growing more plants means you don’t put all eggs in one basket. :)

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

thankyou gentlemen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags