Too fast peas!

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Too fast peas!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

My peas have grown far too quickly for the weather and have roots showing at the bottom of the pot even though they only have a couple of leaves. So which should I do?
    1. Plant out now and let them take their chance
    2. Pot them on to bigger pots and keep them where they are ( unseated grow house)
    3. Leave them in their current pots
    4 . Start again with new seeds and throw out current ones?
    Your thoughts an suggestions great fully received

Karen
    Participant

heya bluebell,

no worries… peas are more cold tolerant…. mine were all planted out since mid-March. They are about 20cm tall now.

Itยดs more of the warm loving plants such as tom, cucs, melons and squashes that gives more grief with colder temperatures.

Karen
    Participant

oh.. you can definitely let them leaf a little more ๐Ÿ™‚

when I sowed mine in February, all the roots were emerging and it took a while for the shoots to emerge.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Bluebell,

Peas are frost hardy to an extent. They wont take extreme frost.
    I would plant them out and cover with fleece and they should easily handle any frost you are likely to experience at this time of year.
    Or you could just leave them for a week or so as Karen suggests and then plant them out. Their root system develop at a far greater rate than the shoots in my experience and wont really suffer from being a little pot bound.

Don.

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks guys – will pop them I this weekend in a sheltered spot ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags