too late for cucumber?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables too late for cucumber?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

We appear to have got a bit too cold for my cucumbers over the last couple of nights, they are looking quite sorry for themselves and I am not sure if they will recover. So I was wondering if it is too late to be worth starting again?

Pete Budd
    Participant

If your cucumbers were under glass I would not have thought recent nights would do anything other than slow them down a bit, maybe its something else. I`m in the Vale of York and last night was well below 10 degC but I didn`t see any probs. I don`t think its too late to have another go under glass esp if you can get some plants that are well on. I wouldn`t bother outdoors now unless there is going to be an Indian summer?

Cheers

Pete

charles

It is a tricky vegetable sometimes, mainly getting plants established. I agree with Pete that cool nights should not harm plants, unless at seedling stage. I have some five week old ‘La Diva’ outside, and it was 5C last night, and they are fine; loving the bright sun by day.

For growing undercover you could sow now, asap, for picking from about mid August I expect. Or buy plants.

bluebell
    Participant

Im not sure how cold they got but did not look happy, so wondered if sowing a couple more now would be an insurance policy. However on examination they do still have small flower buds so may yet pick up.

charles

sounds promising. It was cold again last night and I heard of a slight ground frost in Hampshire, so there is no harm in having back-up from a resowing, if you are in a low-lying spot.

I think the tendency is to warm weather now though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags