Too late for for onion seed or not

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Too late for for onion seed or not

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

stu
    Participant

I’m not happy with my onion seedlings especially reds do I still have time to resow the seed or should I go for sets this time of year

charles

There is still just time Stu, this weekend if you can. They will mature late summer rather than mid summer.

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

I sowed onion seed on 14th February in modules and planted out small seedlings on 21st March under a double layer of fleece. Almost all have disappeared! We have had a very wet March in Devon (not so sunny Exmouth!) and I guess that the fleece, resting on the seedlings, has been permanently wet. I wonder if this has been the problem. Is it likely to be just the difficult start to the season?

I will try some sets and experiment with resowing seed. Is this best done in modules as before?

Best wishes

John

charles

John that is bad news.
    Mine have only recently come ready to plant, 31st March and it turns out this year the later planting was better, so far.
    Another time I would wait a bit until improved weather, though you were unlucky that Devon had its wettest March for 100 years or so.
    I would module sow again and plant a few sets too.

John
    Participant

Thank you Charles. Not even a full week has gone by in April but we have had 46mm already. My neighbour’s growbags form an archipelago in his flooded greenhouse!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags