Too much too late?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Too much too late?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  offwego 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

offwego
    Participant

Over the last few weeks I have built raised beds and want to build towards a no dig system.
    Today for example on one bed of which the soil was clear of weeds I have put 100mm of manure followed by 50mm soil followed by 100mm of straw based manure, which is more straw than manure followed by 75 mm of multipurpose compost,

My query is have I left it too late as the manure whilst not fresh was certainly not well rotted that’s why for this year I sandwiched it rather than top dress with it. I hope this will be my onion and carrot bed for this year.

charles

An interesting profile!
    I would have used less manure but I expect you will make some good harvests, while it settles and decomposes, and next year will be amazing.

offwego
    Participant

Hi Charles, thanks for the response, I’m fully committed to the no dig theory and as I say hopefully next year I will be all no dig .
    Already have my compost pallets full and they seem to be the only thing growing at the moment, my guess is I need another three

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags