Tools (Copper in particular)

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Tools (Copper in particular)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steph 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

With Xmas on the horizon I am considering asking for a copper tool or two. They certainly are things of beauty and will be a pleasure to use over the years ahead.

I wondered what peoples’ experience of them is, both in general, and particularly with regards to their anti-slug/ snail properties? This does sound a little bit too good to be true, but I’m prepared to experiment.

Also, in ‘Organic Gardening’ the compost fork and the digging fork are not specifically mentioned as being copper – is this because they are not directly used in the planting process, or some other reason?

The influence of copper tools and the moon on gardening is rather fascinating, although I’m still getting the basics down at the moment!

Many thanks,

Tris

Anne Wood
    Participant

Having looked through the range of tools on the Implementations site, and bearing in mind the price, please could I have some advice on which items would be the ‘ first on my Christmas list ‘ and the most useful. I have in mind Perseus Rake, Nuki weeder and Hydra Swing Hoe.

Steph
    Participant

I think when Charles wrote ‘OG’, there were no copper compost or digging forks available. Recently one has been able to buy a copper border fork, but I have not tried it out yet.

I use copper tools on a daily basis both in my clients’ and my own garden – they are wonderful. Great to use, they remain sharp, look beautiful and are extremely long lasting.

The four tools I use most regularly are the Castor Trowel, Hydra Hoe, Perseus Rake and Orion Spade. The trowel in particular is a constant companion. The spade is useful for chopping up brassicas before composting, shovelling compost, digging holes for big plants and for removing shrubs and suchlike.

I have a Nunki Weeder – it is great for weeding between plants in borders, but not as useful as a hoe and trowel in the veg garden.

Ark Redwood, head gardener at Chalice Well, firmly believes that the copper tools help keep slug populations down.

charles

Hello Anne, your ideas are good, those tools sound fine for starting and should serve you well. There is certainly an element of mystery as to the benefits they bring, and the joy of using them adds to any other good effects. The enduring shaprness of all edges is a great benefit. For any gardening friends I would recommend the trowel as a brilliant present.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for the input everyone – they certainly sound like a good long-term investment. The additional benefits regarding slugs are interesting and it certainly can’t but help in the battle!

I’ll start by asking for a trowel and then see how things go over the next year….

Best to all,

Tris

Anne Wood
    Participant

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your reply. I cannot wait until Christmas, so am putting in an order for the three items I mentioned, plus the trowel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags