Tools

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

charles

My favourite tools are all made of copper which is kinder on soil than iron (check out http://www.implementations.co.uk). I use them relatively little as there is no digging to do here, and relatively little hoeing. Copper trowels are my most helpful tool for extracting any perennial weeds, around edges especially, also for harvesting roots such as garlic and carrots, and for setting out larger plants. A long wooden dibber is also invaluable, used almost every day in summer.

I was recently sent some tools to try out . One of Eliot Coleman’s hoes worked well but is unfortunately made of iron. A blocking apparatus for making blocks to sow into, out of throoughly wetted compost, was more time consuming to use than simply filling module trays (check out B&Q, plastic ones with 60 holes, re-usable time and again with no washing needed) – also the blocker’ blocks are fatter at the bottom than at the top, so are less practical for dibbed holes. See http://themarketgardener.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=534a16387e0d550cf635438c92a835c9 
    for more on these tools.

Peter Leach

Having decided to purchase a hoe made from copper, I’ve had a good look at the implementations website and would appreciate some advice about which of the hoes will be more useful as a starter purchase.

charles

Hello Peter, it seems that everybody has a favourite (different) hoe and mine is swivel hoe which slides just below soil level, as horizontally as possible, both as you push and pull, as long as soil is soft enough, otherwise it is mainly pulling. You can hoe close to seedlings and the hoe’s edge guides you and prevents mowing them off. Soil is lifted and then falls back in the same place so does not smother seedlings. The blade is thin and sharp, when worn out it can be replaced, rather than chucking the whole tool, so the initial cost is recouped over a period of years as it should last for decades. It may take a little practise to use well but is worth it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags