Transferring soil diseases to compost heap via roots

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Transferring soil diseases to compost heap via roots

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

I have been taking your advice about leaving roots in situ, partly for the reasons you have given, but also to avoid putting any soil on my compost heap. I have some problem areas with onion white rot and don’t want to spread the soil-borne fungus into the heap and then, via the compost, to other areas of my plot. Does this seem a good idea or I am being paranoid?

Best wishes, John

PS I posted this in a runner bean thread so perhaps it better to start a thread in diseases.

charles

Hi John, and I am unsure about white rot unless the heap is hot.
    Say 55C+ and the soil near centre to be sure.
    It will be a while before you have an idea if it’s working but I reckon it will be fine.

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

Thank you for the quick response, you normally have to wait 15-18 years for onion white rot! My compost heaps don’t tend to get hot so I’ll keep to your advice about leaving roots in the ground as there are so many good reasons to do that anyway.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags