tree chiopings

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

I have managed to source approx 2 tonnes of fresh tree chippings from a kind tree surgeon. It is walnut and pine which will be going on my paths between my raised beds. It will be spread over weed membrane. My question is approx how long should i expect it to take to break down and what good uses should it put to. Cheers

bluebell
    Participant

I have used a similar system on my fruit garden and find that having put down wood chippings last spring they had broken down and acquired enough soil to have weeds growing happily by end of the season. I am seriously considering removing the membrain and letting it all rot down so I can how up any offending weeds, which I think will be much quicker.

Poolfield

Woodchips on membrane seems to be a challenging combo cos you can’t hoe so I would either go for membrane or woodchips but not both.

I find I have to top up the mulch each year as I do more shredding to keep it effective as a light excluding mulch.

If you can store the woodchips so they can compost over several years they will make a good compost eventually.

ladbrokes

my thinking was to let them rot down then spread on the beds. i thought it would be easier with the membrane down as the chippings wont get trodden into the soil beneath.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags