Tree chippings

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  clueless 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

clueless
    Participant

I have quite a few raised beds to fill. I have access to a lot of tree chippings (for free). I am wondering if I can use chippings to put into the beds as a layer at the bottom, maybe 30 cms or so, on top of cardboard before placing soil/compost on the top in still quite a thick layer? Would this work, and would there be negative drawbacks. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Kevin Anderson
    Participant

The best way to use tree chippings is to compost them. They are likely to be PERFECT carbonaceous material. Mix them with horse manure, cow manure etc. (providing the nitrogenous material) as you mix.

Trial and error will tell you the best ratio, depending on the type of tree, freshness of the chips, freshness of the manure etc.

For starters try 2 parts chippings, to one part manure (approximately). If your pile doesn’t heat up, try another pile of equal parts chip to one part manure.

Trial and error!

My advice would be to turn the piles twice, and let the compost mature for 3 to 6 months.

ElleGee
    Participant

I tried this two years ago – had two small raised beds to fill. I used coarse sawdust (from untreated oak planks that my husband had planed) in a layer of about 10cm, then topped it with another 10cm of compost and manure. Initially the strawberries I planted straight away did very well, but as the year progressed the level of soil dropped dramatically (as the sawdust composted?) and the strawberries languished (as the sawdust used up the nitrogen to decompose??)I kept topping up with compost, but ultimately took the strawberries out, mulched again with compost and left the bed empty until the following year. This year it was perfect! If I were to do it again, I would either make compost first as Kevin suggests or fill the beds and leave them for some time before planting.
    Maybe Charles or others have had more success though?

charles

Ellie thanks for this, it bears out my experience.
    An outdoor hotbed I made of horse manure with wood shavings bedding, had sunk after a year and I grew veg in it year two with 6-8in compost on top.
    Broad beans and cabbage were not brilliant and yellow more the man green
    Subsequent year was ok
    So careful with a lot of wood under.

clueless
    Participant

Okay, thanks for the advice. I have ordered some cow manure, so I will see how it goes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags