Tree protection and spacing

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Tree protection and spacing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Asif 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Asif
    Participant

Hi Charles

Hoping it’s ok for me to ask a few fruit tree questions that have been on my mind for a while.

1. Do you have any successful strategies for protecting fruit trees from squirrels and pigeons? This year we lost all fruit from the 2-3 year old trees to either squirrels or pigeons (not caught them in the act so not sure which). In an act of desperation, I’m contemplating wrapping the trees in dust sheets next year.
    2. What minimum distance do you recommend between an annual bed and a fruit tree? I’m hoping to train a fan/espalier fruit tree on a North West facing edge. Tree backed by a wall so not much soil or sun there tree but about 80cm or so in front before the veg patch begins. Any particular trees you recommend in this situation? I tried growing courgette here this year but they never made it beyond pencil size due to lack of sun.
    3. Which flowers (preferably perennial or bulbs) would you recommend planting beneath fruit trees? Your picture in this months update showing the line of fruit trees complimented with flowers is gorgeous. Do you use the space beneath the trees for any edibles too?

Sorry for so many questions.

By the way, really sorry to hear that your tomato harvest was plagued with blight too. I hope you managed to get a decent harvest nonetheless.

Asif

charles

Asif
    short of time for all that, maybe you need bird netting.
    Distance to veg depends on rootstock of tree i.e. vigour.
    Any flowers that are not too massive, escholzia, snapdragon, zinnia etc.
    Overwintered garlic and broad beans is possible.
    And yes I have a fair tomato harvest thanks.

Asif
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Charles.

I was thinking of an M26 rootstock. Would a fan tree based on this be OK around a metre from the veg bed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags