Ugly Parsnips

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Ugly Parsnips

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jacqui
    Participant

This is only the second year I have been able to get any parsnips to germinate and what a disappointment for Christmas Dinner. These must be the ugliest parsnips!. Hopefully this year they will be better as I have switched to the no dig method.
    Is the forking caused by stones in the soil? The soil contains quite a few small stones. There are a few quarries for sand and gravel in this area.
    I have a similar problems with carrots but to a lesser extent. Any suggestions?

charles

Stones and gravel can cause an uneven shape more than forking.
    You stand more chance of a straight root with no dig, see the post on “Still harvesting great carrots”

Cleansweep
    Participant

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I’ve got some that match.
    You have a parsnip, ugly maybe, that tastes as a parsnip should. It is going to be cut before cooking?, surely.
    Roasting is only one method of cooking these. Washed, scraped, boiled ,mashed, buttered and peppered. Result!
    Saute-ed in milk gives another dimension.
    My suspicion is that you transplanted these at too late a stage? Am I correct?
    Better results may occur if you:
    Sow fresh seed(perhaps from Realseeds.co.uk), in situ, later in the season*.Plant thinly at 50mm centres, shallow and cover with a plank.Check after 14 days, remove. Select strongest seedling, thinning others, to space at 150mm. Keep moist(by mulching)Weed as required.Do not crowd- in with other crops.
    *May is not too late!!
    Please report.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags