update on allotment

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground update on allotment

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

after taking over an overgrown plot back in april i am now starting to plan my plot.
    after posting on here 30 odd weeks ago and following your advice on manuring the whole plot, i have now removed the plastic sheeting. last weekend i mounded up 7 12ft by 4ft beds by adding 6month old horse manure approx 3/4 inches. the paths between the beds are about 2ft.

i was thinking about top dressing the beds with compost from the local recycle centre. they charge £1 for a large bag. would this be a wise decision

charles

Hi Ladbrokes

It depends partly on how big the sacks are, if 70 litres that is a fair price, although more costly than buying a three ton load or whatever the other deals are. I would go for a larger amount (if you have a trailer to collect it, the price is low) and spread some about an inch thick on both beds and paths.

Pathways are important too as vegetables, plants generally send roots further than one imagines and helping them to feed in paths is a good way to keep the soil structure open and good for walking on. My paths of clay are 13 years old now and still have aerated soil, after all the passage of feet and wheelbarrows.

Good luck with growing this year.

ladbrokes

just been quoted £168 for 5 tonnes delivered. seems pricey. they will deliver in 1/2 tonne bags aswell that comes in at £33

charles

yes that is pricey, but convenient…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags