Use chickens to remove weeds?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Use chickens to remove weeds?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hanna
    Participant

Hello,

We live in the Netherlands and we bought a piece of land (3700 m2) on which we want to plant nut- and fruit trees and grow vegetables. Because it is a rather large area, I decided it was a good idea to use chickens to eat and remove weeds before making beds. This way I could save time weeding and I could start small, piece by piece. But I started the online course (which is really helpful and inspiring 🙂 and now I am not sure anymore. I think the chickens might damage the soil structure too much. What do you think?

Cleansweep
    Participant

So you fancy having some chickens and need a reason!
    Well thats fine but although they will enjoy plenty of green material, how can they tell which are weeds? If you consider a ‘chicken tractor ‘concept ,this would allow you to move them over the uncultivated areas progressively, will certainly remove some vegetation and as a bonus, many soil pests and also deposit fertility, and a supply of fresh eggs if hens.
    Batches of broilers could also be raised, possibly ducks, geese, or turkeys? Remember you, or somebody reliable will need to visit them at least twice a day, every day.
    SEE :

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags