Using compost which includes weed seeds

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Using compost which includes weed seeds

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ruth noble 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

ruth noble
    Participant

I’m trying to get ready for a veg garden next year. The area has been lawn for a long number of years, is not compacted and would have a tendency to be wet. I just want to make sure I have understood right how to start with a no-dig veggie patch.
    I have a very successful wormery (frightened off a ‘proper’ compost bin due to experience with rodents – they don’t go near the wormery). I began a compost bin with kitchen waste during the bad weather last winter (my worms were frozen). Since then, it has been where I have put lots of weeds, including seeds, and brambles. I had no intention to use it on the garden.
    Have I understood right that I could use the contents of the bin as mulch, under cardboard? I’m planning to also use straw, the contents of my wormery, my Mum’s compost, wood ash, coffee grinds……
    Apart from digging out perennial weeds, should I just loosen the turf or actually dig it as starting point? Thanks for your help.

charles

Hello Ruth

There is no need to loosen the turf as grass roots and worm channels have already done that.
    All the composts you mention are suitable and worms should enjoy them and gradually integrate them with the soil below. Straw is not a good plan as it needs nutrients to decompose and will use some from the composts around it if you put it in the bed. I use straw for the compost heap. Wood ash is alright but not too much, say a bucket per bed of 8×4 feet. Put the rest in your compost heap, little and often.
    Compost with weed seeds could be put on as first layer, and your nice worm compost as surface layer, then cardboard on top. The latter may need replenishing with another layer of card on top if it is rotting and starting to blow away by late winter.
    Then by April I would remove any remaining cardboard and you can start sowing and planting. Weeds from your compost will need pulling or hoeing but will be easy to deal with (when small, as seedlings) because compost is so soft and friable. Once the first flush of weed seeds have germinated, weeding becomes much less and easier, but you must do it regularly, even just for a minute a week, or whatever it takes to keep the bed clean and not have any more weeds going to seed.

The cardboard layer is a one-off and does not need repeating. It may even be unnecessary if your compost layer on the grass is six inches deep, which is thick enough to exclude all light and prevent re-growth of most perennial weeds such as buttercup.

ruth noble
    Participant

Thank you so much for this reply, Charles. I really couldn’t beleive that I could actually use that dodgy compost, but it’s great. The raised bed will be in the back garden and I look forward to regular pottering….

ruth noble
    Participant

Sorry to bother you again, Charles, but I also now have bags of fresh leaves. Is it possible to put them out under the cardboard or would it be better to leave them in bags until next year? Thanks, Ruth

charles

You could put a few down for worms to take in but not too many or they may be in the way of sowing, depending what you do next spring.

ruth noble
    Participant

Thanks, Charles, I’ll probably leave them til next year.

Big D
    Participant

Hi

I wonder if Ruth could try the stale seed bed method next spring by letting the weeds appear and then cover them to kill them off before sowing or planting?

charles

Yes she could, but I think it would be much easier and quicker to hoe or scuffle the weed seedlings. 

GMLetts
    Participant

I am thinking of taking some of my lawn for planting. There’s some Bermuda grass in there. Will the 6″ of compost work on that as well? There’s the old joke of “How do you get rid of a Bermuda lawn? First step – buy a new house…”

ruth noble
    Participant

I had a nose under the cardboard the other day and there are loads of worms working away and it was all looking good….except there were a fair few slugs, all of one type. They are medium sized, black with an orange stripe down their back. I know that some slugs are worse than others. Would it be worth trying to get rid of these guys now or are they reasonably ok to leave? Thanks

charles

I would leave them for now, they are recycling old grass… but come the spring, if the cardboard is still in place and harbouring slugs, you could dispose of them however you wish to do it, before planting.

It is an extremely sluggy autumn and I have more than usual, especially compared to the dry and cold of last winter at this time. 

ruth noble
    Participant

Thanks, Charles. AS long as they are doing something positive, that’s great. The bottom layer of the cardboard is already getting broken down by the worms so I will probably add another layer or so before Christmas. Saying that, it’s white with frost this morning, so that may well send them down to do their work in the compost.

ruth noble
    Participant

The weather is glorious here and the worms have done their work. Should I take off the cardboard off and expose the compost to the sun and bring on those weed seeds before I actually plant seeds/plants or would it be better to only expose the soil when I plant? Thanks.

charles

Well done Ruth that sounds good, you could either leave the mulch in place eg for later planting of courgette, summer beans, leek; or remove it for imminent plantings of salad, cabbage, beetroot and sowings of carrot, salad onion or whatever. As you suggest, the weed seeds will start to germinate and can be hoed off (or scuffled or pulled) before sowing/planting, then some more will germinate… but if you keep on top of them when small, soon your soil surface will become clean. The first year is often a lot about persisting but there is a great end result awaiting, of a much cleaner soil/compost surface.

ruth noble
    Participant

I thought I would give some feedback. Really, it has been unbelievable.
    I did have a bit of a problem with couch grass and a few bits of bindweed early on, both of which are endemic in my garden. A bit of work, but not crazy. When I lifted my garlic, the roots were well into the soil and that did bring up weed seeds, but overall, it has been really successful. I came back from two weeks holidays and there were hardly any weeds! Now, slugs, on the other hand, are a real problem – but then that’s the problem for everyone.
    Thank you, Charles. I’m busily planning another new bed this autumn.
    Nearly forgot to add, I have so many earthworms – some of them are big enough to nearly qualify as small snakes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags