Using Linseed Oil

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Using Linseed Oil

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles/All,

I use Linseed Oil on the handles of my tools and various structures, i.e., Coldframes around my Garden and Veg Plot.
    I use both Raw and Boiled versions depending on what my stockist has at the time. I’m just wondering if its use is approved under organic rules. I can’t find a definitive answer on the internet. What would your opinion be?

Don.

charles

It’s fine Don, being just a natural oil that decomposes over time, hopefully slowly!

Don Foley
    Participant

Thanks Charles. I apply it once a year, normally this time of year when tools are least used, but I apply three coatings when I apply it so handles etc never quiet dry out. I spent a lot of money (€250 each) building the Coldframes. They are of untreated timber so I want to ensure I get a reasonably long life from them in particular.

Stringfellow
    Participant

At £250 each Don, I’d love to see a photo of one of these cold frames, if you get chance? Tris

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Tris,
    I’ve being trying to resize Photos but without success.
    The Coldframes are nothing spectacular really. They are 4’x 3′. 21″ in height at the rear and 18″ at the front. The timber is 1.5″ thick. The basic “box” cost me €100 including cutting the timber to size, the light cost another €100, two panes of Horticultural glass in a timber frame (the glass cost €70). The balance is made up with Pea Gravel for the base (3″ depth), Handle, Hinges and a prop for the light.
    I realise I could have knocked something together, or bought one, for much less but these are very strong (which they need to be as my site can be quiet windswept at times) and insulate well and should last for many years to come if I look after them properly.
    I looked around for a long time at commercially available frames but they were very flimsy and not much cheaper than the ones I built.
    Don.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Sounds good anyway Don and great job making it happen. Something on my project list after reading an Elliot Coleman book a couple of years ago. What timber did you use for the frames?

Hawfinch
    Participant

Patrick Dolan of the One Yard Revolution channel on youtube has a very useful video today on how to build coldframes using old pieces of wood and a window he got from his neighbour.

Cleansweep
    Participant

In support of your use of this British farmed oil, it will protect your woodwork ,particularly if you can coat all surfaces and re-treat when it no longer ‘duck backs’ rainfall.
    You will find that raw oil is best, Boiled has the addition of acids and driers which are less natural.
    If you locate a Horse food supplier,such as Mole Valley Farmers , you can get ‘food grade’ raw linseed oil for horse rations in 2.5 & 5litre cans and they should not charge you any VAT. This will assist your budget.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags