Using worm compost

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Using worm compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ruth noble 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ruth noble
    Participant

Hi, I have had a very successful wormery for a number of years but this is my first year to really be able to use the worm compost for veg growing. I’m just not sure how best to use it – any experience?

charles

You have black gold.

I would use it for raising plants, otherwise for salad leaves, an inch or so on top of a bed.

ruth noble
    Participant

Would it be too much to use it on it’s own in a pot for salad leaves?

charles

I think it would be fine. We are talking compost, not fresh manure. Compost has lots of nutrients but in a stable, water insoluble form, available over a long period. In my lettuce trial of different composts/manures in pots (somewhere in the forum!) the homemade compost sustained growth even longer than composted cow manure and proved it contained lots of goodness. But because its nutrients are stable and insoluble, they don’t/didn’t flood the lettuce with easily accessible nutrients at first, so growth was always measured and steady.

Containers need concentrated goodness, because the root run is restricted compared with open ground, so I expect that you can grow wonderful salads with worm compost in pots, boxes or whatever. 

ruth noble
    Participant

Thanks, I was afraid it might be a bit much for the plants.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags