Veg not "bunching" up

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Veg not "bunching" up

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hawfinch 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hawfinch
    Participant

On balance I have a very hard time getting my veg to grow proper “bulbs”, or how one would put it. Beetroots, radishes, kohlrabi or turnips produce lots of leaves but no harvestable bulb. One supposedly has to be careful with not having too much nitrogen in the ground as it produces lots of leaves but not much else. Too much nitrogen is not a problem in my garden. I asked in a garden centre recently what they thought could be the problem, and they suggested potash deficiency, does this sound like a reasonable assessment?

charles

Hawfinch, I am not convinced by that argument and there are so many unknown variables/factors.
    For example, if you have potash deficiency, you will be experiencing poor crops of tomatoes etc.
    I can’t remember if you use any mineral supplements, to correct any unknown small deficiencies, but I would spread some basalt rockdust and or seaweed powder.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Thanks Charles. No I don’t use any supplements, but will try spreading rockdust and see if that helps. Unfortunately one cannot buy seaweed powder here. I mainly use green garden waste and worm compost to feed my garden soil, I don’t have very much manure based compost, maybe that could part of the explanation.

Stringfellow
    Participant

If in the U.K. Hawfinch, garden organic do big bags of seaweed meal. Not cheap but a good long term investment for your plot possibly.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Unfortunately not Stringfellow, in Switzerland. Otherwise I would have bought some even if it’s, as you write, rather expensive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags