Vermicompost – now I've got my wormery at full tilt…….

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Vermicompost – now I've got my wormery at full tilt…….

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

I set up a wormery in January 2014 and now it appears to be getting to the stage that we might actually have some product to use. I’ve got two trays in a three tray vertical wormery fully rotted down and the top tray is happily getting on with rotting, being about 1/3 – to 1/2 full right now.

As the amount I will have this year to use won’t be huge, are there any applications where use of vermicompost has particularly beneficial results or is a tablespoon per 30cm tomato pot as good a place as any to start?

charles

Its precious and I would use it in a potting mix, so your tomato pot idea is a good starting point. Have you been using the juices on plants?

Rhys
    Participant

I did use some juices last summer when I was not quite getting the balance of brown and green waste right, but didn’t do anything too planned – just diluted it and put it on Defender Courgettes which I tried growing in a breathable fabric pot – the plant kept producing courgettes until early October so it clearly did n’t do any harm!

Any thoughts on what to try it on or should I boldly go where no Dowding has gone before?!

zuf
    Participant

I use it pure or mixed with peat in module trays to sow any seeds of veg.
    It is good to use it when you transplant seedlings into a garden.
    You can make compost tea!
    I use it a lot in containers.

slasher
    Participant

I have just moved a load horse muck, it had a load of red worms in it , do these worms do the
    same work as the earthworm.

zuf
    Participant

No, earthworm lives in soil and drags his food (organic matter) into channels bellow.

What you found are composting worms, which live in organic matter and feed on it. If you are asking yourself, no, they don’t “attack” living plants, roots etc – they only feed on decaying organic matter.
    They don’t survive in soil. When organic matter is gone, they move or go dormant.

Compost worms make amazing compost called worm castings.
    Unfinished compost, fresh fruit and similar are their favorite.
    They are amazing at turning fresh kitchen waste into compost.

Rhys
    Participant

I agree with you – the bottom two trays of my wormery now look like the most perfect lawn of compost imaginable – absolutely perfectly ripe. The top layer has plenty of kitchen waste to eat just topped up today with 6 month old horse manure – composting worms really, really love that stuff.

zuf
    Participant

Yes! 🙂

We took an old bath, put a mesh inside on a drainage, place the bath a bit off level so excess liquid goes into drainage and fill it half full with half year old cow manure. This was in late spring last year.
    Then we added kitchen scraps on top.
    It’s quite full now, everything looks like regular compost now, but it’s not yet finished, worms are turning this into even better black gold (worm castings) – we will wait now for them to process the whole thing.
    At the same time we will start the new bath.
    This is really good article – http://permaculturenews.org/2015/01/21/updated-worm-farming-at-zaytuna-farm/

Hawfinch
    Participant

I have a Dalek-type composter where all the kitchen waste goes and it is full of small wiggly red worms, are they the same worms as the ones in a wormery? The compost I dig out at the bottom is fantastic and quite different from what comes out of the compost piles.

zuf
    Participant

You are composting with worms already. 🙂

Hawfinch
    Participant

Thanks Zuf 🙂

jjat8cv
    Participant

I have a problem with the tap blocking up and I cannot therefore drain the bin properly. Has anyone else had a problem with this and how did they solve it. Many thanks.

Rhys
    Participant

Yes, I had that at the start. Firstly, you just have to take the tap out and wash it clean with water, draining the bin through tipping after removing the wormery trays .

Going forward, it suggests you need to add more things like horse manure, grass clippings, newspaper shreds and cardboard to your wormery as you currently have too much food waste/plant waste with all its liquid inside it……

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I will thoroughly wash the tap on an empty bin and transfer the contents to that bin adding some cardboard and grass cuttings as I go. I do add shredded newspaper but that is obviously not sufficient.

jjat8cv
    Participant

Sorry Rhys I should have thanked you and not Charles. I will be dealing with the problem this afternoon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags