Viability of Cordon Trees in Troughs

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Viability of Cordon Trees in Troughs

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Asif
    Participant

Hello Charles and other green-fingered folk

Finally got round to ordering the diary and can’t wait for it to arrive.

In the meantime, I’ve assembled several troughs measuring 2.4M * 0.5M * 0.3M and placed them on vacant soil on their long edge alongside a conifer hedge where nothing much grows . Being quite wide and a foot deep, I was hoping to use them to plant some cordon trees (apples, pears, cherries…). Would this be viable? If so, how many trees could I get away with?

If you think it could work, should I opt for an M26 rootstock for the apples and dwarfing ones where available for the others?

Finally, was hoping to dedicate one of the troughs to a fan shaped fig tree. Again, would appreciate your thoughts on whether you think this is viable.

I’m getting mixed messages from the web and tree suppliers so your advice is very much appreciated.

Asif

charles

Not easy.
    Say six apple trees per trough, on M27 preferably. perhaps M9.
    M26 is too vigorous for such a small rootspace.
    And yes, the most dwarfing you can source for other fruit trees.
    You will need to water regularly in summer, so plenty of maintenance. M27 is better because trees crop even in the first year, or better from the second year, whatever – this is not a project to grow ten year old trees, I reckon five years max. Hope I am wrong! Best of luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags