Victoria Plum Problem

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Victoria Plum Problem

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

A nearby allotment holder has a problem with his Victoria plum tree. The tree looks healthy and has some healthy looking plums although not a lot. However there are also some which are deformed. They are more elongated and there is a definite line down them with one side being pink and the other green. They gradually get pinker and then drop off. I have searched the net but cannot find anything like this. We opened one up but couldn’t find any bugs inside. I am worried that it could spread to my trees. Have you any idea what is the cause.

charles

Victoria plum is susceptible to all sorts of things, more than other varieties. But what you describe is not the dreaded silverleaf or plum pox and does not sound like a major problem, in fact I wonder if it is something like the "June drop" on apples, when fruit stay small and then fall off. Trees mostly know how many fruit they can support, although plums less than apples… Is it a young tree, in poor soil perhaps, struggling a bit and feeling dry at the moment?

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I will pass on your comments. The tree could be stressed as we haven’t had any appreciable rain for some time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags