WATERING SOIL IN A POLYTUNNEL

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground WATERING SOIL IN A POLYTUNNEL

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dan hazelrowan 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

markpearce

Hi Charles

I have cleared my summer veg from the polytunnel beds ,and the soil is very dry,I have put lots and lots of water on it to try to get it moist, is this what you do?I know before when i dug the veg beds it was easier to get the soil moist again as i could turn the soil over . 

Regards

Mark

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Mark,

My tomatoes etc. had sucked most moisture from the soil during their growing time undercover. Once pulled out I applied water generously but spread the application over 3 – 4 days, some each day. The soil/ compost was nicely damp/ moist ready for the winter salads to go in; so far so good here.

I find the no-dig approach works well, saving much toil, but you need to give the worms etc chance to do their thing so as to aid the formation of sound soil structure. Hope that helps and good luck with it!

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

yes watering over a few days is definitely the best approach, the water just flows throught the dry top layers and the soil saturates from the bottom up, so digging it over wouldnt make any difference , you would still have to water as much.  In fact you would be losing the structure which would move the moisture around like a sponge, and instead have mud

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags