Watering with a hose

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Watering with a hose

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Suaz 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Suaz

Apologies if this isn’t related to no-dig as such but it is related to organic food growing (I hope). I recently bought an anti-kink hose sold by the internet sales arm of a major supermarket. The hose is made in China and the packaging lists the materials as PVC, ABS, PP and Zinc. The chemical odour given off by this hose has to be smelled to be believed and I’m more than a little relucant to use it on my food crop. An internet search has thrown up a number of studies showing that many PVC hoses contain harmful substances such as lead, endocrine disruptions, neurotoxins, you name it. Admittedly, the said articles addressed the American market where it seems that alternative “drink-safe hoses” are available to buy. Can anyone recommend a good, “less-toxic” hose that doesn’t stink to high heaven when new? I have been using a plastic watering can but it never smelled from new and it appears to be made from a very stable material. I suspect that the plasticizers used to make hoses more flexible are part of the problem.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags