weevils/larvae and shiny beetles on brassicas

Community Community Garden Problems Pests weevils/larvae and shiny beetles on brassicas

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ashleigh 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ashleigh
    Participant

a small number of my kale and broccoli has been damaged by little black weevil-looking things. they look a bit like ladybird larvae and seem to eat layers of the leaf, so as to leave parts of the leaf looking purple/brown, dry and transparent. sometimes on the same plants are tiny, shiny blue-black beetles, so i’m assuming these are the same animal. what are they?

i think they are going for already weakened plants, but possibly it is they who are weakening the plant :/

i guess we will be investing in a lot of mesh next year

charles

The fine summer has encouraged breeding of so many insects and I do not know these ones, perhaps someone else does?
    You might not see them next year if it rains normally.

compostpope
    Participant

Hi Ashleigh

I think I have the same unwelcome guests dining on my brassicas. On the basis of their habit of jumping off disturbed leaves I searched “flea beetles” on the RHS website and in my case I think thats what they are.

You could try Google images for pictures of flea beetles but be warned that lots of different species on lots of different crops appear to have picked up this name.

I covered the neighbouring bed of autumn salads with enviromesh after planting and then also a layer of fleece as my mesh apparently may only deter the little darlings. So far so good!

CP

ashleigh
    Participant

ugh, thanks for that, there seem to be several varieties of flea beetle and this is one of them. they are sadly also keen on our mustards and even my new pak choi, they have only left one of those alone!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags