West Riding Compost

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing West Riding Compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

Charles, I was interested to read about your experience with West Riding Compost in your latest blog. I have tried some this year and I am not at all impressed. It performed very poorly alongside Sylvagrow and B & Q Verve. Won’t be buying again.

charles

Hi Mark, yes I wonder whatever they did.
    I had a rely to my complaint saying

“We have had just one other query on the same batch regards slow growth on brassicas.

The analysis results show a slightly lower P.H than normal and a very slightly lower available nitrogen level.

It’s the only thing that really appears any different. It would be interesting to try a sprinkling of lime on the compost to see if that made any difference, and maybe some extra nitrogen in another sample.”

So it’s a puzzle in that sense, because something is impeding growth.

plantmark
    Participant

Its a pity. I have been trying to get away from peat based compost and often been disappointed, but
    B & Q Verve @ 5p a litre has never let me down yet.

KevL
    Participant

I have had no problems with my West Riding this year other than I thought it a little more wet and heavy than last year. Therefore I mixed it 50/50 with come lighter compost from a local commercial nursery that allows me some of their own home-made potting mix and I am very pleased with the quality of the mix and the resulting plants.

charles

Thanks both, and good that you are managing Kevin.
    Turns out they changed nutrient supply this year, to comply with organic standards. So there is a nutrient issue, perhaps temporary lock up, which does not help our plants.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags