What compost

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

Ok Charles you have sold me this wonderful idea. As at the moment I have no home made compost ready can I use 1) Bags of bought composted stable manure
    2) Organic multi purpose compost (Thatchers)

Thanks

Paul

MarkH
    Participant

Hi, Similar to Paul – I am sold on the idea but don’t have enough compost. Has any one used this: https://www.cpa-horticulture.co.uk/compost/farmyard-manure. Thoughts/pros/cons would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Paul
    Participant

Hi Mark
    Desperate to know what I can use as I want to get started think I will email Charles direct.

Paul

charles

I cannot vouch for all the composts out there but most are good. Just a few horse manures may contain aminopyralid.
    Sorry that its impossible to be 100% sure but I would never let that stop me using a compost that is affordable and looks promising.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Guys, check out local farmers and see what, if anything, they can offer you. You’ll potentially save a fortune. For example, 110 barrow loads of well rotted cow manure here near York was £40.00 – no brainer really….

Cleansweep
    Participant

Agree with Stringfellow, they all like a bit of cash!! Farmers are ‘at home’ at meal times 8-1pm-5
    Farmers only work “by the load”, probably
    6 cu mtrs (approx).Ask to see the trailer to get an idea of volume. This may be more than you need but it will rot down for next year. Possibly share with a neighbour. £40 may be generous, but distance is the key. Give the tractor driver a beer or 4. Handy contact for other inputs, cut-your-own pea & bean sticks, straw, used baler twine etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags