what is the ideal temperaturer for propagation

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing what is the ideal temperaturer for propagation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Hi I was wondering about using a heat mat to help germination of my tomatoes, aubergines etc. Since there are only relatively few seeds that will benefit from it I am a little reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that will not be used much, so wondered what the ideal temperature was and if I could use a heat mat that I already have to keep wine warm during fermentation?

Rhys
    Participant

Bluebell

My non-scientific experiments with tomato seed germination are these:

1. Trays placed on top of newspaper placed on an outdoor gas boiler germinate seeds 100% within 4 days in January and February.
    2. Modules kept at 20C indoors in an interior cupboard in March take 7 days to germinate.

As I grow using biodynamic calendars, as long as seeds are through within 9/10 days all is well, as I tend to transplant seedlings into 5cm pots on a fruit day at that stage and then grow as normal.

Absolutely saturated subsoil, topsoil left dry and the heat of a gas boiler from underneath has been my go-to method the past 2 years though!

It has the advantage that the sole requirement for germination is an old ice cream tub. And a covering of cling film to retain the moisture.

I’ve found germinating with the moon in Leo the past two years has led to perfect 100% germination and very healthy plants down the line. But none of it has been rigorous science……

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Rhys – Do you know what the temperature is generally on your boiler? Love the idea of moon planting but to be honest mine are quite lucky to get sown within the month I’m aiming for let alone on a specific day!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags