What veg can stay in over winter

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables What veg can stay in over winter

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  RandA 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

RandA
    Participant

Hi Charles

I was wondering if I can leave my celeriac, celery and carrots over winter in the ground, they are all growing well and as we are now in October we may have a few light frosts and I was wondering if I needed to do anything to protect the plants or should I harvest? I have about 150 huge celeriac and they are selling well, I would like to continue through the winter with them if I can. Same with the celery and carrots but again will they withstand any frost.

charles

Celery withstands frost to say -6C 21F or lower, so in S Wales you should be ok. Carrots are more tender but pulling surface compost/soil around them helps.
    Celery is damaged by slight frosts of say -2C 28f.
    Perhaps of more woodlice, carrot root fly and slugs, which can make storage an attractive option!

RandA
    Participant

Charles Thanks for the quick response I am guessing you mean celeriac will with stand colder temps than celery it certainly looks more robust. I recall hearing a farmer put straw over his carrots in a cold winter and they were OK. We have loads of the stuff maybe I will try it and I will let yo know if it works. I note your warning about woodlice and carrot fly although touch wood we have not had any problems with that this year, I guess earwigs and the mice may be a problem with straw as well

charles

Do be vigilant for carrot root fly as they are hatching now.
    Here I would not do a straw mulch because of slugs living under it and eating say carrots, but you may be able to do that, perhaps a lighter soil. I imagine the farmer you mention may have used some slug pellets.

RandA
    Participant

Thanks for that info invaluable help I will do something to look after them

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags