When to plant white mustard

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing When to plant white mustard

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

Yes, Charles recommended planting white mustard as a fall cover crop that does not need to be tilled and will die-off in the spring.  I am pretty sure I have waited too long to plant this as my average frost date is October 8.  We haven’t had any frost however and aren’t expected to next week either.  I didn’t plant the white mustard earlier because I had productive green beans and tomatoes I was hoping would ripen in the garden beds. 

How much sooner than your frost date do you recommend planting white mustard?  Do I have to pull out my productive plants in order to get this done in time?  It seems like the only way. 

Thanks,

Beth

charles

I would still sow some now, it won’t grow large. It needs frost below 23F to die off. You can scatter seed among maturing plants without clearing them first, it it is damp they should grow without raking in.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags