When to remove black polythene and apply manure

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground When to remove black polythene and apply manure

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Webber 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Charles – I’ve covered a couple of areas in black polythene since October last year and would be grateful to know when to remove these and spread on a layer of manure/compost. Can I do it now that the snow has gone? Many thanks – Richard

charles

Yes Richard do it asap and spread the compost. I would normally recommend spreading manure or compost before covering ground with plastic, so worms can then be busy and  break it down while the ground is covered, creating a better tilth – always as long as the soil is moist at the time when it is covered.

More generally, I think that once soil is clean of weeds (apart from occasional annuals) there is no advantage to covering with polythene, instead put on a 2" mulch of compost/manure in autumn. Pull any weeds that grow over winter, knock the lumps out with a rake or fork in any drier winter weather (I was doing that today), and by March you will be ready to sow and plant.

Charles – thanks for the comments. I used the polythene to suppress and kill the annuals that had grown due to poor weeding and hoeing on my behalf. Could I get away with just a good layer of manure instead – spread in October? Richard

charles

I wonder…probably only if they are small, young weeds. Unless the compost was thick and even enough to cover all weed leaves, some will re-grow, especially around the edges of beds. In your situation the polythene was a good idea. Or you could have put down some cardboard (after removing tape, staples etc) and covered that with the compost. Cardboard is liked by worms, is good soil food, allows rain through and  exists for long enough to kill most annual weeds. And unlike polythene it does not need removing. 

This week-end I removed the polythene and found that under one large area a mole (or moles) had been busy for months and had left a wonderfully soft and friable tilth! A quick rake and I could have planted in it! No digging on by behalf but not quite what you meant by”no dig” I think Charles!

A goodly layer of Shetland pony compost applied.

I’ve also used the brown paper sacks the compost came in to cover more weedy areas and mulched these.

Bring on Spring planting!

Richard

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags