Where to sow modules without a greenhouse?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Where to sow modules without a greenhouse?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Antipodes 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Antipodes
    Participant

Hello to all, I have been growing veg for 10 years but this is the first year I am trying Charles’ methods as much as possible. I have already sown indoors my tomatoes and peppers, that don’t mind being next to the windows in the house. But I have also sown peas, onions, beets and chard. These germinated but are very leggy. As I have no greenhouse or coldframe, I have them near a window in the garage. If they are inside, it’s too hot, but where they are, I don’t think there is really enough light.
    I am at a loss as to where to put them. And I want to follow them up with trays of spring salad, spinach etc. Can anyone suggest where I should try to do my sowing? I have a couple of sheds/outbuildings with windows but the light input is not excellent. Any type of other structure I could try? I am in a fairly mild but damp climate. I am so pleased that the modules have germinated but As the seedlings are really too tall, I am worried that they will not grow succcessfully now 🙁
    Thanks for any help anyone can suggest.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Depending on whether you can spend some cash on your hobby or not, have a look at LED grow lights.
    I use IKEA Vaxer (2 storey) grow light set-up and have had seedlings growing in a cool room with the lights on a timer giving them 14 hours light a day. Here is a link… http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/indoor-gardening/
    The initial cost is quite high, but once you have them they should last for many years.

charles

Antipodes, this subject is already much discussed, see my latest update for March, where I quote Penny (pmshrink) on her propagation methods, since they are so different.
    https://forum.charlesdowding.co.uk/forums/topic/leggy-seedlings-3/#post-45092

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Antipodes,

This is a very common issue for those of us who use our windowsills. Its not an insurmountable problem. The issue is one of lack of sufficient light – usually. It is easily corrected when potting on by simply planting deep – up to the seed leaves.
    I have found a simple solution to minimise the leggyness, it does not completely eliminate the problem. I place Plasticard or Cardboard covered with Tinfoil behind the seed trays to reflect the light back onto the trays. This also prevents the seedlings from leaning excessively in one direction but I also rotate the trays daily.
    The ideal solution (apart from a heated Greenhouse) would be to use Growlights. But these are expensive to buy and to run.
    They do pay for themselves eventually but this depends on the volume of seedlings you are raising. I use my Growlights for bedding plants and Tomatoes and Windowsills for Veg.
    We need to remember that what we are generally trying to do is to grow plants at a time and in conditions they would not naturally germinate and grow. Effectively we are trying to trick nature. We need to try to artificially create a plants natural growing conditions.

Don.

Antipodes
    Participant

The thread noted by Charles was a big help. We are building a greenhouse for next year, but this year is still tricky. OK, I will attempt to get them germinating then move them to a place that might be cold but with lots of light. Maybe I can rig up a temporary coldframe with a couple of old windows and see how they go, leaning against a wall for warmth… Growlights, I see the advantages but we have electricity tariffs that are adjustable so some days can be very expensive. Also that does not seem very ecologically sound in my mind! Growing is a hobby but we do manage to grow the vast majority of the food we eat in the warmer season, so it is a hobby with many benefits!
    Thank you to everyone for that sound advice! Now I am off to sow my spring salads and the last of the peas!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags