Which order of materials

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Which order of materials

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Di
    Participant

Hello Charles and fellow gardeners

I plan on covering beds in autumn with a number of materials. I read that 2″ would be sufficient but as i have access to plenty of material it makes sense to me to use it. This is just the end of my first year with no-dig and feel whatever efforts are made to build the soil condition with be beneficial.

I have: green waste; well rotted manure; 3 y.o+ leaf mould and own compost. Which order would you recommend we layer, please?

I must say that we’ve been absolutely thrilled with our yields this year. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice, Charles.

charles

Nice to hear that your crops are good.
    Lucky you having all those composts.
    I wonder how old and how woody your green waste compost is. Of the ones you list, I think its the least valuable, with few fungi etc, so would use it on a one inch layer only.
    For the others, a rule of thumb is to use your finest compost as surface layer, for easier sowing and planting, and weeding too.

Di
    Participant

So, if i understand correctly, this would mean green waste down first (it’s raw as you suspected), followed leaf mould, compost and composted manure.

As to the crops, they’ve been delightful. The advise you gave re aubergines that were slow to set fruit was useful. Strong 1.5M bushes are carrying 10-12 fruits at a time, and still with equal number of flowers. Luscious!

charles

Your plan sounds good.
    As for those aubergines, the warmth in France makes a difference! Great that you are growing with it so well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags