White Rust on brassicas

Community Community Garden Problems Disease White Rust on brassicas

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Cristal
    Participant

Hi there, I am very new to gardening and got my first allotment in the spring. I have some grown some brassicas and they appear to have white rust – I have removed most of the infected leaves and tried spraying with some neem oil spray but to little avail. The worst affected is the kale. Is there anything I can do and also is the kale safe to eat – I wondered if maybe the leaves that look ok could still have the spores on them. Many Thanks

charles

Hello Cristal, it sounds like a powdery mildew, white spores, nothing to worry about especially. You should have some new and healthier leaves.
    The ones with mildew are beginning to decay so although you could eat them, the flavour will have gone.
    I think if you can feed your soil with compost of any kind inc. well decomposed manure, around the kale, it will grow healthier leaves.

RandA
    Participant

I had this early on this year and took off all the affected leaves and then they all grew and are still growing really well in there compost, so don’t worry like Charles says
    Ali

Cristal
    Participant

Many Thanks for the replies. I’m quite sure it is white rust (Albugo candida) as the leaves are blistered and the new growth is also infected and deformed.
    Before I knew what it was we ate the least affected leaves and both times I experienced a low grade allergic reaction – itchy mouth, fatigue – perhaps my system was reacting to the mold? I have bought some hydrogen peroxide and will see if washing the leaves in a dilute solution will help. I have removed all affected leaves and just waiting to see if the plants recover. Other than rotating the crop next year if there any thing I can do to prevent it reoccuring? Cristal

ElizaD
    Participant

Not sure what’s wrong with my kale but my three green curly kale look dreadful, small, stems look mouldy and leaves dropping off. My redbor kale looks marginally better but not really appetising. By contrast the Taunton Deane kale is looking a picture of health but hubby has decided he does not like this as much. My friend who gave me the cutting was of the same opinion. Curious as to whether others agree? Regardless, it’s the only kale I’ll be eating this winter.

charles

Without knowing your soil, situation etc its hard to know why your kale are poor. I agree that annual kales are mostly more tender to eat. We eat the Taunton in smoothies and stir fries and Steph sometimes roasts it after rubbing in oil.

charles

Cristal, sorry missed yours, try extra water above all, and a little rockdust, as well as the normal compost mulch.

ElizaD
    Participant

Charles, I’m in Somerset. My kale is rotated each year and I’ve never had a problem with it before, In fact it is usually too bountiful. The particular raised bed growing them this year was filled with well rotted horse manure several years back and last grew kale three years ago. I can only think that this bed is the nearest to a fence and my apple tree and perhaps the airflow is somewhat reduced here? I usually keep this bed for high summer stuff as it’s a little shadier, especially for lettuce, but every third year is my kale rotation. Perhaps no longer? By the way I mulched the bed last Autumn with my own compost.. The Taunton Deane kale grows in what was once a bed but is now a pathway (a blocked one of course!) and doesn’t seem to care a fig. Not had a problem with any other crop at all this year.

Eliza

charles

I think it may be the apple tree, sucking moisture during the dry summer and until the rain of this past week. And enjoying the compost. Tress do a lot of surface rooting.
    Your kale may recover a little after the rain, but summer has gone.
    Brassicas are hungry plants, for food and water.
    The perennial kale has got it’s roots down!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags